Thursday, July 8, 2010

One Year Ago

[Original post: 07/08/2010 09:45pm, PST]
One year ago, on July 8th and 9th, william hamilton ayres took the stand to testify in his own defense against charges relating to his molestation of many young boys, done in the guise of providing psychiatric care.

"And, so, I did a physical, and the kid told me about what was wrong with him [...] and I realized at that time that that was useful, not only to know about what the physical problems were but, also, it had to do with the relationship with the child."


"And if you do physicals, children often tell you things while you are --- I'll give you a quick example."


"A psychiatrist gives a physical exam which gives you all the information about the physical exam, but it also establishes a relationship with the patient, that they respect you, and that they feel comfortable with you and it's okay [...] I don't think I'm -- I don't think I'm answering your question adequately." 


"And then there are those who ask for it. The will say that they have a pain here or they’re worried because they’re having skin trouble. A lot of adolescents tell me that they have acne, and they don't take their shirt off when they see their pediatrician, because they have acne all over their back. And I would say, "Well why don't you let me look at it and I would -- Because I know quite a bit about acne. In fact, I've taken a course in acne."


"There are some children who are very skittish [...] So there are some that I wouldn't -- wouldn't do a physical. Sometimes I wouldn't do it until something came out, if the child had a real belly pain, and almost all the time, if you have children you know that they have belly pain now and then. So if they walk in and they have a belly pain, then I might do a physical at that time."


Plenty more gems on the "In ayres' Own Words" tab. 

2 comments:

  1. Deep Sounding --

    Your photo montage bears a resemblance to the album cover of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

    ReplyDelete